You need back up plans for several things that may crop up including-
- Staff being of sick
- Staff going on professional development days
- Loss power
- Loss of internet
- No volunteers
Planning ahead helps lessen confusion and stress. It means the right people are involved from the start and don’t just hear about it after. It ensures things are done is a safe manner for all. People that are sick don’t need to drag themselves in and infect others with their illness just because they can’t have a day off. Back up plans are best written by convenors and Exec together. Having your convenor or head convenor away is going to happen. It is just a case of when and how much notice you will have
In a large school with multiple convenors having someone away sick isn’t usually a big deal. in a small school it can mean calamity if no plan is in place.
Ask your team these questions.
Does someone else have
- All keys required
- Access to the float
- Know how to order
- Access to required phone numbers
- A maximum minimum order list
- The combination for the safe
- The daily schedule [template supplied in guide]
- Know the school schedule [bells opening times etc.]
- Know emergency procedures
- Know how to use fire equipment
- Know where the first aid kit and incident reports are kept
- Been trained in the safe way to use and clean all equipment.
- Have all the recipes/how to make items cards.
- Know the prices
- Know how to use the register/s
- Know who to go to if there is a problem
- How to complete the cleaning schedule
- Food hygiene/food safety experience
- Know what to do if students don’t have lunch
- Know how to receive deliveries
- Know how to record wastage
- Make all the items “some else always makes”
- Know how to secure the days takings
- Know what equipment stays on and what goes off
- Know how to securely lock the building
- Have access to online ordering and email/ computer
If the answers are no then start training someone up.